An absence will be determined to be excused if it meets one of the following criteria:
1. Illness of a student, documented by a licensed physician, mental health professional,
or health department employee attesting to the illness, infection with a communicable
disease, or injury to the child;
2. A copy of a funeral notice or obituary accompanied by a note from the parent/guardian
indicating death in the family;
3. A written statement from a lawyer or representative of the court system indicating the child was absent due to a legal or judicial proceeding;
4. Written information documenting a religious activity that occurs during the time that school is in session which required an absence for religious instruction or religious holiday. Prior approval is required;
5. A student may be excused from school for a maximum of 5 days per year if the parent writes a note documenting the illness.
Written documentation of one of the above reasons for absence must accompany the student to school within 2 days following the absence in order to be considered excused. Phone calls in lieu of a note will not be acceptable.